If you are planning to get your crib painted and you are looking for the best baby safe paints for cribs, then we have you covered.
Not all paints are safe for babies, some paints emit toxic materials that can be harmful to infants, hence extreme care should be taken in getting safe baby paints for cribs.
Our foremost best option is the Krylon Chalkboard paint. It is a durable finish that is easy to apply.
The paint dries up in about 60 minutes and does not give off any odor or toxic substances, hence it is safe for babies.
Krylon Chalkboard paint can be used on different surfaces including wood, metal, glass, plaster, and ceramic surfaces.
We chose the best and we have highlighted the features that make them stand out from the rest. We also included a short buying guide that would help you to make the safest choice for your little one.
Best Baby Safe Paints for Cribs 2021
#1. Krylon Chalkboard Paint
Our first choice for the best baby safe paints for cribs is the Krylon Chalkboard paint.
It is an affordable non-toxic paint with great quality, and it has just the right amount of thickness.
The paint is easy to apply and it dries off in no time. It also has an aerosol option for retouching surfaces.
- Easy application – Krylon Chalkboard paint is easy to apply on smooth surfaces, giving it a tough, slate-like chalkboard feel.
- Total Coverage – The paint comes in a quart-sized container that covers a surface area of up to 20 sq. ft.
- Safe to Use – It is a non-toxic finish that does not contain volatile organic compounds.
- Durable Finish – Krylon Chalkboard paint lasts long on the painted surface and does not require an additional topcoat. The durable finish also comes in blue and black color designs
- Fast Dried Paint – The paint dries up completely in 60 minutes while the aerosol option takes 15 minutes.
- Multipurpose Use – Krylon Chalkboard paint can be used to coat different surfaces including wood, metal, glass, plaster, and ceramic.
#2. Nuvo Cabinet Makeover Kit
Nuvo Cabinet Makeover Kit is our next best safe paint for cribs.
It is both a water-based acrylic paint and a primer in one. It is easy to apply and safe for baby cribs as it has low volatile organic compounds and odor.
- Easy application – Nuvo Cabinet Makeover Kit is equipped with everything you need for painting. You do not need to strip or prim the surface to be painted which makes it easy to apply. The entire application process takes just a day while curing, takes 8 hours, The painted surface has a characteristic soft, satin finish.
- Quality Paint – Nuvo Cabinet Makeover Kit is a water-based acrylic paint that has a low odor. It is low in volatile organic compounds and odor. It can also serve as a primer.
- Total Coverage – The paint covers existing surfaces in a single coat. A kit can cover up to 100 sq. ft.
- Multipurpose Use – The paint is suitable for use on wood, laminate, and primed metal surfaces.
- Long-lasting Coat – It lasts long on surfaces and no extra coating is required.
- Easy to clean – Painted surfaces can be easily cleaned with soap and water.
- Full Package – The kit features 2 roller covers, 1 roller arm, 2 inches angled paintbrush, two cans of Nuvo cabinet paint (31 oz.).
#3. Hemway Chalk Furniture Paint
Hemway Black Chalk-based Furniture paint stands out as premium paint with an amazing quality.
It is an odorless water-based paint made in Britain from high-quality raw materials.
The paint is safe in its entirety for painting baby cribs.
It is additionally easy to use and sets in no time.
- Easy application – Hemway Black Chalk-based Furniture paint does not require priming as it can be applied directly to different surfaces to give a smooth flat touch finish.
- Quality Raw Materials – The paint is is manufactured using quality raw materials.
- Total Coverage – Hemway Black Chalk-based Furniture paint gives exceptional coverage in one coat.
- Fast Drying – In just 2 hours, the paint dries completely to give a decorative matt color finish
- Water-based Paint – The paint is non-toxic and gives off a minimal odor when dry. This makes it safe for children.
- Multipurpose Use – Hemway Black Chalk-based Furniture paint is suitable for use on furniture, walls, stones, plaster, metal, and plastics.
- Beautiful Color Designs – The paint is available in different colors including jet black, bright white, ruby red, magnolia, peacock blue, and dove grey.
#4. Rust-Oleum Dark Tint Base
Rust-Oleum 258242 Dark Tint Base is another one of our top baby safe paints for Cribs.
Manufactured in the United States, the paint is made from the finest raw materials that give your baby crib an elegant dark tint.
What more, it is safe and free from toxic chemicals.
- Simple to apply – Priming or stripping is not required before painting as the paint can be applied directly on different surfaces.
- Water-based – Rust-Oleum 258242 Dark Tint Base is a water-based coat that is non-toxic and odorless.
- Beautiful Design – Rust-Oleum 258242 Dark Tint Base has a beautiful and smooth finish design. It can also be tinted to 11 colors.
- 200 sq. ft. Coverage – The kit covers up to 200 sq. ft. of a surface.
- Multiple Surface Use – It is suitable for molding, and use on kitchen cabinets, and furniture.
#5. Nuvo Titanium Makeover Kit
Nuvo Titanium Infusion 1-day Cabinet Makeover Kit is a complete package that comprises all you need for a professionally painted surface.
It is a durable and long-lasting finish that does not need priming or stripping.
The paint is safe and ideal for use on baby cribs as it is non-toxic.
- Easy to use – There is no need for stripping or priming before applying the paint. Application is easy and stress-free and minimal preparation is required.
- 100 sq. ft. Coverage – The paint kit covers up to 100 sq. ft. surface
- Long-lasting finish – It is a durable cost that does not require the use of a sealer or topcoat.
- Multipurpose Use – The paint can be used on wood, metal cabinets kitchens, and bathroom walls.
- Color varieties – The paint comes in Oxford blue, early grey, and black deck colors
- The Total package – The kit comprises 2 cans of paint (31 oz.), 1 roller arm, 2 roller covers, 2-inches paintbrushes.
6. Liquid Stainless Steel Range
Liquid Stainless Steel Range and Dishwasher Kit include all you need for painting.
The stainless steel paint is completely safe for baby cribs as it a water-based paint that is free from toxic chemicals.
- Stainless steel Finish – The paint is an automotive-grade finish that is made of 100% stainless steel and it creates a stainless finish on the painted surface
- No need for Priming – Priming of a surface is not required before painting.
- Full Kit – Comes with a 6 oz. can base coat, a 6 oz. high-gloss topcoat and a 2 inches foam brush.
- Water-based Paint – The paint is an odorless and non-toxic finish that is safe to inhale after drying
- 19 sq. ft. Coverage – Liquid Stainless Steel Range and Dishwasher Kit covers up to 19 sq. ft. surface area
- Durable Coat – It is a paint that lasts long on the surface and it can withstand high temperatures up to 300°F.
#7. Renaissance Chalk Finish Paint
Renaissance Chalk Finish Paint is a non-toxic and eco-friendly paint and that makes it one of our best baby safe paint for cribs.
It is a high-quality paint, made in the USA and it has top-notch coverage with a fine, silky, and chalky finish.
It is also totally easy to use and clean and it is very durable.
- Multiple Color Varieties – The paint comes in 4 color designs including, old linen, snow, ivory tower, and alabaster.
- Easy application – Renaissance Chalk Finish Paint is easy to apply and priming is not necessary before painting.
- Safe to Use – Renaissance Chalk Finish Paint is a hypoallergenic paint that is odorless, non-toxic, and does not contain volatile organic compounds.
- Furniture and Cabinet Use – The coat is suitable for indoor use on furniture and cabinets
- Long-lasting – The coat is made of high-quality raw materials that make it last long on surfaces
- Easy Coverage – Renaissance Chalk Finish Paint is characterized by smooth and even coverage in one or two coats.
- Fast Drying – Renaissance Chalk Finish Paint dries up in 30 minutes to give a silky fine chalky feel.
#8. Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint
Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint is superior quality and non-toxic paint that is made in the USA.
You are sure to have nice and even coverage in one or two coats.
It is made of 60% real wood, hence, it works magic on wood surfaces and it is easy to clean as it is easy to use.
- Easy to apply – The coat is easy to apply on surfaces and priming is not required before application.
- Wood Paint – Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint is made of 60℅ real wood that makes it suitable for use on furniture and cabinets.
- Easy Coverage – The furniture paint gives a smooth and fine coverage in a maximum of 2 coats.
- Quick Drying – Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint dries in about 30 minutes to give a silky fine chalky feel.
- Durable Coat – Retique is a long-lasting paint that is suitable for both internal and external use
- Non-Toxic – Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint is also a water-based finish that is low in odor and toxic chemicals.
#9. Retique Furniture Paint
Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint by Renaissance Deluxe Starter Kit comes with all you need for a perfect finish.
The paint is made in the USA with the finest ingredients that are designed to give your furniture an excellent look.
It is an eco-friendly paint with zero toxicity and that makes baby-safe paints for cribs.
Free from volatile organic compounds and other toxic chemicals.
- Easy to apply – Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint is characterized by easy application. Apart from cleaning the surface, not much preparation is needed before painting.
- Quality Paint – Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint delivers a fine, thick, and even spread in a maximum of 2 coats
- 30-Minute Drying Time – The coat dries completely in 30 minutes to yield the result of a fine, silky and chalky finish that lasts long on surfaces.
- Acrylic Based Paint – Retique It Chalk Furniture Paint is an Acrylic-based finish that is odorless and hypoallergenic.
#10. Retique It Chalk Finish Paint
Retique It Chalk Finish Paint by Renaissance for Furniture and Cabinets is made in the USA with the best paint ingredients.
It is an eco-friendly paint that has all it takes to give your crib the perfect touch.
- Total Coverage – The paint is characterized by total and even coverage in just 1 or 2 coatings.
- Easy to use paint – Coat is easy to apply on cleaned surfaces and priming is not necessary to use paint
- Acrylic-based paint – It is an acrylic-based paint that contains high-quality ingredients with no volatile compounds and zero toxicity.
- Durable Paint – The coat gives a silky and fine chalky finish that lasts long.
- Recommendation – It is suitable for use on cabinets and furniture.
#11. Amitha Verma Chalk Finish Paint
Amitha Verma Chalk Finish Paint is a tested and trusted paint brand.
Although it comes last on our list, it is one of our best baby-safe paints for cribs.
It is totally easy to use and very durable.
If you are looking for high-quality chalk paint that is safe, durable, easy to use, and affordable, this might just be the one you are looking for.
- Easy to use – Not much preparation is required before painting and priming is not necessary.
- 20-minutes drying time – The paint dries on a surface within 20 minutes to give a smooth matte finish.
- Quality Coat – Amitha Verma Chalk Finish Paint has a thick and creamy texture that delivers premium coverage in just 1 coat.
- Low odor – After drying, the paint does not give off any odor that can be harsh to the nostrils.
- Multipurpose Use – Amitha Verma Chalk Finish Paint is suitable for use on wood, metal, glass, and other smooth surfaces.
Buying Guide For Baby Safe Paints for Cribs
Babies are delicate and they should be treated as such. Extra care should be taken in getting stuff for them to avoid putting them in danger.
In getting the best baby safe paints for cribs, you must realize that not all paints are safe for use on baby cribs.
Some paints contain harmful substances known as volatile organic compounds (VOC). Volatile organic compounds are harmful chemicals comprised majorly of carbon. They are given off in form of gases, which means that they can be inhaled.
They are implicated in health issues including nausea, damage of organs, skin irritations, and others.
Examples of volatile organic compounds are methanol, toluene, phenol, white spirit, benzene, etc.
In choosing the best baby safe paint for cribs, paints with volatile organic compounds should be avoided.
Choose paints with non-toxic natural or water-based solvents.
Also, the baby crib solvent should be durable, long-lasting, and easy to clean.
Is it safe to paint a baby crib?
Painting a baby crib is safe so long as the freshly painted crib is allowed to dry before use. It is advisable to keep your baby away from the whole painting process till it dries off completely. In general, you should keep painted cribs away from babies for 2 to 3 days.
What kind of paint is safe for baby cribs?
Water-based paints and paints with harmless solvents are most safe for baby cribs. Paints used for baby cribs should be free of harmful substances and should not pose any health threat to babies.
What paints are safe for babies?
Paints that do not emit volatile organic compounds when dried and do not contain toxic substances are safe for babies. In general, hypoallergenic and toxin-free paints are considered safe for babies.
What are the safest baby cribs?
The safest cribs for babies should have the following features:
Proper slab spacing.