Babies spend about 18 hours sleeping in a day, more like they spend the whole day sleeping (well, apart from waking up at intervals to eat or play a little).
You can’t possibly carry your baby for 5 hours straight, talkless of 18 hours, hence you need to get sleeping aids for them.
The issue of how to choose the right size of crib mattresses for babies is a common one amongst nursing mothers, particularly new ones.
In this article, we’ll be doing an overview of the standard crib dimensions and standard crib mattress dimensions to help you choose the right size of crib mattress for your baby.
Let’s start with the crib dimensions.
- A standard crib dimension usually measures around 28 inches by 52 inches (can be 5/8 of an inch smaller or larger).
- Larger than mini-sized cribs.
- More expensive.
- Standard cribs last longer.
- Convertible to toddler beds.
- Rectangular in shape.
- Mini cribs measure around 24 inches by 38 inches.
- Majorly for newborns.
- More portable and smaller than standard cribs.
- Less expensive.
- Not convertible; hence babies can easily outgrow it.
- Rectangular in shape.
- Shaped cribs come in different shapes and varying dimensions.
- They are often smaller.
The type of crib you decide to go for will ultimately determine the kind of crib mattress that would be a perfect fit. You don’t want to get a bed that will be bigger or smaller than your crib.
Top 3 Crib Mattress Sizes
Standard Sized Crib Mattress
- As the name implies, it is the standard sized crib mattress designed for standard sized cribs
- A standard crib mattress dimension should not be more than 6 inches thick and should measure at least 27 ¼ inches wide and 51 ¼ inches long (Consumer product safety commission).
Mini-sized Crib Mattress
- This mattress is smaller than the standard crib mattress.
- It does not have a standard specification, but a normal one should measure about 24 inches by 34 inches.
Shaped Crib Mattress
- Shaped crib mattresses do not have standard specifications as they come in varying shapes and dimensions.
- They often come with mattresses.
It is important to be double sure of the dimension of your crib before selecting a befitting crib mattress.
To be sure, measure the length and width of your crib and let that determine the size of the baby bed you’ll buy. As a rule, the space in between your mattress and the crib should be just enough to fit 2 of your fingers or less. Anything more is not safe for your baby.
Get The Best Travel Crib for Flying.
Which Size of Crib Mattress Do You Like!
The type of crib mattress you choose to settle for depends on your preference and of course, your pocket, however, you should also consider the following before making a choice :
- The firmness of the mattress- The mattress does not have to be hard, however, it should be firm enough to prevent your baby’s head from sinking into the mattress.
- Presence of Waterproof covers.
- Certification by appropriate authorities.
- The mattress should not be too thick or light. The thickness should be just perfect.
If we make a final decision
We can only make suggestions and help you to know what to look out for, but the rest is up to you.
No matter what you decide to go for, don’t use old crib mattresses for your babies, as their safety is not guaranteed.
Read Related – Regular Crib Vs Mini Crib.