Mattresses and baby cribs have served as sleeping aids for babies over the years; you can’t possibly carry your baby for 5 hours straight, talk more of 18 hours. Moreover, babies are exceptionally delicate, and they require the utmost care, so it is expedient to get the appropriate kind of sleeping aid for them.
The issue of how to choose the right sized crib mattress for babies is a common one amongst nursing mothers, particularly new ones. In this article, we’ll be doing an overview of the standard crib dimensions and standard crib mattress dimensions to help you choose the right size of crib mattress for your baby.
We’ll start with the crib dimensions, there are different types of cribs based on their sizes, and they include:
- Standard crib dimensions measures around 28 inches by 52 inches (can be 5/8 of an inch smaller or larger).
- Standard cribs are larger than mini-sized cribs.
- More expensive.
- Standard cribs last longer.
- Convertible to toddler beds.
- Rectangular in shape.
If you are looking for the standard size of crib you can read it – Best Cribs For Small Spaces.
- Measures around 24 inches by 38 inches.
- They are majorly for newborns.
- They are more portable and smaller than standard cribs.
- Less expensive.
- Not convertible; hence your baby can quickly outgrow it.
- Rectangular in shape.
Here you get Aaffordable Crib under 100.
- Shaped cribs come in different shapes and varying dimensions.
- They are often smaller.
The type of crib you decide to go for will ultimately determine the kind of crib mattress that would be a perfect fit. You don’t want to get a bed that will be bigger or smaller than your crib.
Top 3 Crib Mattress Sizes
Standard Sized Crib Mattress
- As the name implies, it is the standard sized crib mattress designed for standard sized cribs
- A standard crib mattress dimension should not be more than 6 inches thick and should measure at least 27 ¼ inches wide and 51 ¼ inches long (Consumer product safety commission).
Get The Best Mini Crib Mattress
Mini-sized Crib Mattress
- This mattress is smaller than the standard crib mattress.
- It does not have a standard specification, but a normal one should measure about 24 inches by 34 inches.
Shaped Crib Mattress
- No standard specification as they come in varying shapes and dimensions.
- They often come with mattresses.
It is important to be double sure of the dimension of your crib before selecting a befitting crib mattress. Ensure you measure the length and width of your crib and let that determine the size of the baby bed you’ll buy. As a rule, the space in between your mattress and the crib should be just enough to fit 2 of your fingers or less. Anything more is not safe for your baby.
Get The Best Travel Crib for Flying.
Which Size of Crib Mattress Do You Like!
The type of crib mattress you choose to settle for depends on your preference and of course, your pocket, however, you should also consider the following:
- The firmness of the mattress- by firmness, I don’t mean hard. However, it should be firm enough to prevent your baby’s head from sinking into the mattress.
- Presence of Waterproof covers.
- Certification by appropriate authorities.
- The mattress should not be too or less thick.
Ultimately, I can only make suggestions and help you to know what to look out for, but the rest is up to you. You should bear in mind that the dimension of your crib determines the size of crib mattress you will choose. However, no matter what you decide to go for, don’t use old crib mattresses for your babies, their safety is not guaranteed.
Read Related – Regular Crib Vs Mini Crib.