Pack n play comes with mattresses enclosed in light fabrics. They can either come in detachable designs or non-detachable designs.
Babies spend quite a lot of their time in a pack n play, which could make it get dirty over time. Hence, a pack n play needs to be cleaned at regular intervals.
WHY SHOULD YOU CLEAN YOUR PACK N PLAY?
Germs are very much comfortable in dirty places, hence a messy pack n play is no option.
Using dirty beddings or keeping your little ones in a messy pack n play would mean exposing them to germs that could endanger your babies.
The immune system of infants is also not strong enough to withstand harmful organisms that settle on dirty surfaces, especially not one that your baby uses often.
Moreover, your pack n play won’t look too good and presentable when it is dirty.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends regular cleaning of baby toys and other baby stuff regularly to get rid of germs and harmful organisms.
How do you clean your Pack ‘n Play?
You can clean your pack n play by using either the mild or thorough cleaning method.
- Cleaning your pack n play will involve splashing water and soap here and there, hence you should do your cleaning in a place you don’t mind water spilling on.
- Separate the mattress from your pack n play before cleaning.
- If the mattress cover is detachable, you could take it off and wash it separately.
- Clean the bed and pack n play in a bucket of warm water that contains mild detergents and scrub the mattress using a scrub brush.
Be sure to wash all the nooks and crannies of your pack n play.
- Rinse thoroughly
- Leave the whole pack n play outside in the sun to dry
Thorough or deep cleaning
You can do a thorough cleaning of pack n play if your baby has made a big mess of it.
Below is a stepwise procedure for deep cleaning of your pack n play:
- Separate your mattress from the pack n play.
- Fill your bathtub with steaming hot water; add a mixture of half cup of detergent, one-fourth cup of vinegar, and baking soda.
- Fold your pack n play and soak it alongside your mattress in the bathtub for at least an hour.
- Drain the tub and rinse. You can do this in the shower or at a designated spot outside.
- Leave it outside to dry in the sun.
Regular Maintainance of your Pack n play
While you could do a mild or thorough cleaning of your pack n play at intervals, you don’t have to wait till your pack n play is a total mess before you clean it up.
You can maintain your pack n play by taking note of the following:
- Don’t use an excessive quantity of your cleaning agents.
- Dab the surface of the soil area with moist clothing when appropriate.
- If you notice dirt on the plastic and metal parts of your pack n play, you should clean it as quickly as possible.
- Make sure you rinse the soap off your pack n play entirely.
- Ensure to dry your pack n play outside exposed to sunlight. You could check for the weather report to know when it is best to clean your pack n play.
- Make sure the pack n play dries entirely before use.
- Separately wash mattress clothing if it is detachable.
- Ensure that you read the instruction manual of your pack n play and follow it as much as possible.
- Not all pack n plays can be soaked in hot water; some just need to be immersed in cold water for a longer time.
Be sure of the one that best suits your pack n play.
Your pack n play should be kept clean as much as possible; your baby needs properly clean beddings to minimize the risk of health issues that can be caused by germs.
Read More: Graco Pack n Play Napper Safe for Sleeping.