Crib sheets are mattress covers. It is not ideal nor safe to use a bare mattress for your baby. Other than making your baby crib beautiful, crib sheets protect your baby mattress and make the mattress comfortable for your baby, providing a smooth, clean, and cozy sleeping surface for your baby.
Eczema is a skin condition common with babies and, if not appropriately managed, may persist to adulthood. If your baby has eczema, you need to be extra careful when it comes to choosing a suitable cribs sheet for him. Different crib sheets have various features, and you should choose the one that best suits your baby.
Which type of crib sheet is best for a baby?
There are different types of materials for crib sheets varying from cotton, natural fibers, polyester, and flannel. For a baby with eczema, you should choose your crib sheet carefully and meticulous as there are different varieties of crib sheets. We’ll talk on them briefly:
Cotton is a natural fabric that does not have many natural chemicals.
- Soft and breathable fabric
- Easy to clean
- Moisture absorbent fabric
- Less liable to cause skin irritations and allergic reactions.
- The fabric stretches easily to cover the mattress fitly.
- Cotton keeps the body cool in summer and warm in winter.
- Gets wrinkled easily
Polyester is a synthetic fabric that includes satin, microfiber, and chenille sheet materials.
- Polyester fabrics do not get wrinkled easily
- The material is easy to clean
- The fabrics are long-lasting
- Polyester fabrics are cheaper than cotton sheets.
- The sheet is not as breathable as cotton
- Less moisture-absorbent property
- Liable to cause skin irritations or allergic reactions
- Better at keeping the body warm in winter than fresh in summer.
Flannel sheets are a blend of cotton and polyester.
- Flannel fabrics are breathable
- They have moisture absorbent property
- Best for the winter season as they are thick enough to trap warmth
- The material is soft, cozy, and long-lasting.
- Not as breathable as other sheet materials.
- Not ideal for hot or warm weather.
Bamboo sheets are natural eco-friendly fabrics. It is one of the most appropriate alternatives for cotton.
- Bamboo sheets are soft
- They are environmentally friendly materials
- They come in a variety of colors and designs
- They are not as long-lasting as cotton or polyester sheets.
The Best Crib Sheets for Babies with Eczema
1. Burt’s Bees’ Baby Crib Sheet
- Burt's Bees Baby Fitted Crib Sheet - Solid Color
- BEESNUG 360°, premium elastic with extra stretch provides a safer, snugger fit
- Extra fabric overlap on bottom edge, along with 360º elastic prevents sheets from...
- Dimension – 28” x 52”
- Material- Pure organic cotton
- Thread count- 140
- Certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
- Varieties of designs.
Burt’s bees’ is a highly recommended brand known for producing safe and quality baby products. Their crib sheet is not an exception; it is a pure organic cotton fabric that does not contain harsh chemicals or dyes. This super soft and breathable fabric is safe for babies with sensitive skin. Apart from its durability, mothers love the impressive variety of this Jersey knit designed crib sheet, which goes for a pocket-friendly price. Although it fits most infant and toddler mattresses, it may be a little big for some mattresses.
2. American Baby Company Standard Crib Sheet
- 100% Cotton Jersey. Measures 28 inches x 52 inches x 9 inches.
- SOFT. Our Value Jersey crib sheets offer a warm, tee shirt like feel for exceptional...
- SELECTION. Available in a variety of colors to match any style.
- Dimension-28” x 52” x 9”
- Material- Pure Cotton
- Thread count- 220
- Pocket-friendly price.
- The crib fits standard cribs and mattresses.
- Certified by GOTS
This crib sheet is jersey knit and comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Nursing mothers love it for its 9 inches deep pocket with elastic edges that ensure that the crib sheets standard cribs properly. This sleek, soft, long-lasting, and does not contain harmful chemicals or dyes, which makes it ideal for babies with eczema and other skin conditions. However, some customers have complained that the crib sheet had a slight chemical smell that wears out over time.
3. Magnolia organics fitted interlock Crib sheet
- THICK & ORGANIC smooth interlock knit with high quality stitching.
- GOTS CERTIFIED ORGANIC COTTON: The highest level organic certification from the...
- SUBSTANTIAL, LONG-LASTING, QUALITY crib sheets - only the very best for your little...
- Dimension-28” x 52” x 9”
- Material- Organic Cotton
- Thread count- 300
- Certification is by the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
- Perfect fit for standard crib
- You can use a washing machine to clean the crib sheet without it shrinking
Magnolia organics fitted interlock sheet is one of the best organic cotton crib sheets up for sale, this eco-friendly crib sheet is soft, and it has a mild feel on babies with sensitive skins, particularly eczema. Its interlocked knitting design and 300 thread count makes it stretchable. They have several pretty designs from which you can make your choice, although some customers have made complaints on the sheet having a bleach smell, which disappears after washing.
4. Natemia fitted crib sheet
- AMAZINGLY SOFT & BREATHABLE - 100% certified organic Turkish cotton is made from...
- ORGANIC AND HYPOALLERGENIC - We at Natemia pride ourselves on making natural baby...
- FULLY FITTED Our 28"X52" crib sheets fit securely around standard-sized crib and...
- Dimension-28” x 52”
- Material- Organic Turkish Cotton
- Ideal for all standard crib mattresses
- Breathable fabric
- It has heat-producing properties, which make it ideal for cold weather conditions.
- Certification is by GOTS.
Natemia fitted crib sheet is a highly recommended crib sheet that is soft, well fitted, and highly recommended for little ones with eczema. It has a jersey knit design that makes the fabric to stretch. This crib sheet is a quality organic Turkish cotton fabric that is free from dyes and lasts longer. Natemia fitted crib sheet only comes in white and grey and may have a chemical smell that will wear out with time.
Frequently Ask Questions:
What is the best fabric for crib sheets?
The best fabric for crib sheets is cotton; it is breathable and has moisture absorbent property, especially if your baby seats a lot. It does not have many natural chemicals, especially if it is an organic cotton fabric, and is less irritable and not likely to cause an allergic skin reaction for your little one. It also keeps your baby warm in winter and cool and summer.
What bedding is best for eczema?
For babies with eczema, it is advisable to use a pure organic cotton sheet as they do not have natural harsh chemicals and are super soft and breathable, which makes it an excellent choice for babies with eczema.
How many crib sheets does a baby need?
As a nursing mother, it is appropriate that you should have at least two crib sheets for your little one. If you can afford it, you can have more but nothing less than two crib sheets. That way, you’d have an option when the other crib sheet is dirty or in case of an accident.
Are polyester crib sheets safe?
Polyester crib sheets are cheaper than cotton crib sheets and are durable as well. Its elastic section is about nine inches deep and, as such, would be a perfect fit for most crib mattresses.
Polyester crib sheet is not altogether a bad option for your little one. It is a good alternative for cotton crib sheets and can be regarded as safe for babies with normal skin conditions. But for a baby with sensitive skin conditions, it is better to go for cotton sheets.
Polyester sheets have less moisture absorbent properties and are not as breathable as cotton sheets; as such, they can cause skin irritations.
Baby skins are soft and very much sensitive, and nursing mothers should be careful of things that come in direct contact with your baby’s skin—stuff like dresses, beddings, stockings, and so on. If your little one has eczema that makes his skin even more sensitive, it is very much advisable to use soft and breathable organic cotton sheets that will fit the mattress. Also, ensure you wash your baby’s bed sheet often as dirty bedsheets can also be harsh on your baby skin.